Provost’s Undergraduate Research Presentation Awards (PURPAs)
The Provost Undergraduate Research Presentation Awards (PURPAs) support students who want to bring the findings of their research to a professional or scholarly community, or to other venues.
FUNDING: Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis and subject to available funds. Awards typically range from $100 to $500, with a maximum of $500 per student. Students are only eligible for one award during their undergraduate careers.
ELIGIBILITY: Students from all majors in all of Georgetown’s undergraduate schools are eligible for funding. Preference will be given to juniors and seniors who will be disseminating their work prior to graduation. Faculty sponsors must be Georgetown faculty, but can be from any school or discipline; they must write a short letter or email addressing the importance of the activity and its contribution to your educational development. Research presentation awards support the following activities:
- Conference fees incurred to present research beyond Georgetown’s campus;
- Travel support for the student to present a paper or perform his/her creative work;
- Publication fees for a peer-reviewed journal or similarly prestigious publication; and
- Entry or fees associated with the performance, exhibition, or public presentation of visual, literary or artwork.
EVALUATION: Merit-based awarding decisions are based on the following criteria:
- Professional or scholarly significance of presentation, performance, or publication venue;
- Student development of, and commitment to, their project;
- Relevance of the project to your future goals.
APPLICATION: Complete Application Consists of:
- Submission of this application form
- A letter of support from a faculty member
- Confirmation of your paper/project’s acceptance
- Unofficial transcript
Please have your faculty member directly send their letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org. You should send the acceptance, your resume, and your unofficial transcript by email attachment to email@example.com.