Spring - by April 15
Candidate announces intent to apply
June 1 (Professor) or October 1 (Associate)
Recommended date for soliciting external letters.
- Committee sends candidate’s materials to external reviewers
- Research statement
- Copies of Publications/scholarship/research (or, a representative selection, in the case of promotion to full). Note: Candidate may update C.V. and research statement at any time. A careful record must be kept of the materials that were made available to reviewers, and others throughout the process to note information not available at the time of a review.
- Committee solicits statement of collaboration from any co-authors (for inclusion in dossier)
November 15 or earlier (Professor) or February 15 or earlier (Associate with tenure)
Deadline for submission of dossier to Provost & Deans.
- All voting members of department meet to review dossier
- Goal is frank and open discussion of all strengths and weaknesses of candidate
- Do not discuss personal matters (e.g., leave for health or childcare challenges)
- Assign note taker to document departmental discussion
- Report of departmental meeting is produced and added to the dossier
- Report must be neutral and complete description of the departmental discussion
- Avoid any appearance of advocacy, e.g. all faculty signing for overwhelmingly positive decision
- Some units have process for permitting faculty to review report confidentially to ensure accuracy
November 15 (Professor) or March 1 (Associate)
Deadline for submission of dossier from Provost to University Secretary.
- Decisions occur on a rolling basis with order of cases confidential (except for expedited lateral hires)
By July 31
Latest date decisions are communicated to faculty member.
- Within thirty days of decision: Negative decisions may be appealed.
- Rolling: Applications for tenure and promotion as part of a lateral or senior hire will be managed on a rolling basis through an expedited process.