Leave requests are managed by each individual school. Faculty should request periods of leave in writing through their Chair, Dean and Provost. Please contact Lesley Sebastian, Acting Director of Faculty Affairs or your respective chair or dean if you have specific questions about types of leave available to faculty.  

New Parent (Primary Caregiver) Leave
A tenure-line faculty member who will be the primary caregiver of a child (who is in the first year of life or newly homed child of five or younger) is eligible for one semester of paid leave. Tenure-line seeking this leave must attest to their spouse's full time employment during the period of leave as well as documenting the expected birth or adoption date of their child. For detailed information on New Parent Primary Caregiver Leave, please review our policy statement.

Research Leave
A faculty member who receives a grant or award may apply for a period of research leave, and may be eligible for Georgetown matching funds. Information on the grant award should be provided to the school dean to accompany the leave request. It is a good idea to seek approval for a period of research leave in advance at the time you are preparing a fellowship application. Faculty seeking a salary matching award must make the request at the time of application. Please contact the Vice Provost of Research or the Office of Research Services for more information.

[[{"fid":"76","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","attributes":{"class":"file media-element file-default"}}]]

For information on matching awards for external fellowships, please see the current policy. 

Medical Leave (Salary Continuance)
Faculty and AAPs on the Main Campus who will be medically disabled for two weeks or more are eligible for Salary Continuance, a form of Medical Leave funded by the University that provides for full salary and benefits continuation for up to three months, with medical documentation. If a faculty member or AAP remains medically disabled beyond that point, he or she may apply for Long Term Disability through the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits.

Personal Leave
Faculty member may request personal leave for a variety of reasons ranging from family care needs (in which case DCFMLA and FMLA may apply) to an opportunity to participate in the academic life of another institution. In some cases, clock stops may be possible for junior faculty with family care needs.