Other Leaves

Leave requests are managed by each individual school and are available only to full-time faculty. Faculty should request periods of leave in writing through the Chair of their department, their Dean and the Provost. For more information, see the Faculty Handbook Section III.C.10. These leaves are processed on a rolling basis.

Research Leave
A faculty member who receives a grant or award may apply for a period of research leave, and may be eligible for Georgetown matching funds. Information on the grant award should be provided to the school dean to accompany the leave request. It is a good idea to seek approval for a period of research leave in advance at the time you are preparing a fellowship application. Faculty seeking a salary matching award must make the request at the time of application. Please contact the Vice Provost of Research or the Office of Research Services for more information.

Junior and Senior Faculty Fellowship LeavesThese leaves provide tenure-line faculty one semester of full-time research leave with no teaching or service responsibilities. The Junior Faculty Research Fellowship is guaranteed to all tenure track faculty to provide one semester to build their scholarly record for their rank and tenure review. This leave typically is taken in the third or fourth year on the tenure track. The Senior Faculty Research Fellowship is awarded to tenured faculty at the associate or full professor rank upon selection through a competitive review process.

Personal Leave
Faculty member may request personal leave for a variety of reasons ranging from family care needs (in which case DCFMLA and FMLA may apply) to an opportunity to participate in the academic life of another institution. In some cases, clock stops may be possible for junior tenure-line faculty with family care needs. For more information on FMLA, go to the office of Faculty and Staff Benefits and the Faculty Handbook, Section IV.K “FMLA Leave Policy“.

Medical Leave (Salary Continuance) – General
Faculty and AAPs on the Main Campus who will be medically disabled for two weeks or more are eligible for Salary Continuance. This is a form of Medical Leave funded by the University that provides for full salary and benefits continuation for up to three months, with medical documentation. If a faculty member or AAP remains medically disabled beyond that point, he or she may apply for Long Term Disability through the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits.

Medical Leave (Salary Continuance) – Maternity


New Parent (Primary Caregiver) Leave

Up to one semester of paid leave may be available to a full-time faculty member who will be the primary caregiver of a child who is in the first year of life or a newly homed child of five or younger. A faculty member requesting this leave must attest to their spouse’s inability during the period of the leave to be the full-time caregiver and document the expected birth or adoption date of their child. For more information on eligibility requirements and other details, click here for tenure-line faculty and click here for full-time non-tenure line faculty.
Faculty are urged to discuss the need for a leave as early as possible with the appropriate academic administrator. A request for a new parent leave may be coordinated with a maternity leave.