Information for Non-US Citizens Visiting Researchers

For visa purposes, non-U.S. researchers should provide the following additional information:

  1. Date, city, and country of birth;
  2. Country of legal residence and country of citizenship;
  3. Dates of arrival in and departure from the United States;
  4. Source of funding while in this country;
  5. Names of any family members who will accompany the Researcher as well as their dates of birth, country of birth, legal residence and citizenship.

In general, non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents come to Georgetown on a J-1 scholar visa. If the researcher’s country is part of the Visa Waiver Program and their stay will be less than 90 days, the researcher may contact OGS ( to determine if they are able to use the Visa Waiver for Business instead of the J-1 visa for their visit. Researchers traveling on a B-2 tourist visa or the Visa Waiver for Tourism will not be allowed to begin their visit on the Georgetown campus. 

To request a J-1 visa document, Visiting Researchers need to complete the J-1 Scholar Request Form and submit it to their host department along with all the supporting documents listed on the form.  The host department will submit the request to the Office of Global Services (OGS), and OGS will issue DS-2019 form(s) for the researcher and their dependents to apply for J-1 and J-2 visas at the U.S. Consulate.